Internship (ages 16 to 18)
This course will give you hands-on, practical skills related to to composting, animal husbandry, farming, resource recovery, and conservation. Earth Matter interns will build leadership and environmental stewardship skills. The internship will take place at the Earth Matter Compost Learning Center located on Governors Island (GI), and at various sites on Governors Island, guided by Earth Matter staff and adult volunteers.
- Composting and compost-related work including animal husbandry
- Staffing Compost Learning Center, welcoming and engaging with visitors
- Assist on variety of carpentry and construction projects
- Lasagna composting garden technique
- Help with Resource Recovery on the Island including “triking” to pick up organics from stations, vendors, events as well as decontaminating organics.
- Assisting with public workshops
- Billion Oyster Project-related work – oyster curing and education
- Advance your environmental knowledge
- Camaraderie with other like-minded young adult interns
- Spend time in Governors Island’s beautiful park and help us achieve our motto: “No Waste Wasted on Governors Island”
Young adults (ages 16-18) that are interested in acquiring practical and theoretical knowledge with respect to composting, respect to composting, applying compost, making and using compost tea, soil health, lasagna composting gardening techniques, resources recovery and conservation, recycling and animal husbandry. Leadership and environmental stewardship skill building are imbedded in this internship.
A pre-arranged schedule between Earth Matter staff and the applicant will be set. Each year there are two internship cycles.
- Season Internship – Shall consist of 70 hours to be completed as agreed upon between October – end of May (exact dates to be determined).
- Seasonal Internship – Shall consist of 90 hours to be completed as agreed upon between May – end of September (exact dates to be determined). Each shift is a 5-8 hour day, including some weekend shifts. When GI is open for the season, the Compost Learning Center is open on the weekends for visitor open hours.