Once the composting process is finished, we have multiple uses for our finished compost:
- Governors Island – Our finished compost is primarily used for our partner, Governors Island (GI). It is applied to multiple park landscapes, the Trust for Governors Island green house, and partner greening initiatives such as National Park Service planter boxes.
- Urban Farm – Our Soil Start Farm and GrowNYC’s Teaching Garden uses finished compost to demonstrate our closed-loop system of food scraps generated on and off Governors Island, to growing food, including some Island vendors.
- Compost Learning Center –
- Visitors and participants can screen a 1 lb sample bag during our Open Hours (weekends from 12-4 pm) during the Governors Island open season.
- Larger sample bags can also be sifted as an activity at our weekly Friday Work Days. Pre-registration required.
- Community groups
- Educational or fundraising events – community groups can request sample bags for these events. Requests are approved based on availability.
- Approved community groups and schools can receive compost up to 2 cy. We do not deliver compost. Arrangements must be made ahead of time and all vehicles must be pre-registered before boarding the ferry. Compost cannot be requested for commercial use. Requests are approved based on availability.
To participate in making compost or request picking up compost, please click on the button below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We follow up with personal responses for each request. Preference is given for those who are able to schedule a group work day on Fridays from 9-2 pm (under 25 participants), so that those seeking finished compost will learn how compost is made, and take this knowledge back to their urban site/programming venue.