Below is a listing of opportunities available at Earth Matter NY. Click on the opening below to view details about the position and steps for applying.
FULL TIME – Organics Recovery Coordinator, 40hrs/wk
The NYC Compost Project, created by the NYC Department of Sanitation (DSNY) in 1993, provides compost outreach and education to New Yorkers in all five boroughs. NYC Compost Project (NYCCP) programs and staff are funded and managed through the DSNY Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability (BRS), in partnership with host institutions.
Earth Matter NY Inc. is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the art, science, and application of composting in and around New York City. Earth Matter NY seeks to reduce the organic waste misdirected into the garbage stream by encouraging neighbor participation and leadership in composting.
The NYC Compost Project hosted by Earth Matter NY seeks an enthusiastic individual with composting and public engagement experience for the position of FT- Organics Recovery Coordinator. The Organics Recovery Coordinator is employed by Earth Matter NY and reports to the NYCCP hosted by Earth Matter Program Manager. This position is primarily responsible for supporting Earth Matter NY with organics acceptance, processing and small compost device maintenance. These responsibilities require the candidate be available some weekends during the Governors Island public access season (May-end of Oct).
- Work with the Operations Coordinator in all phases of compost production; acceptance and pre-processing of food and yard waste feedstocks; construction, monitoring and maintenance of piles; screening of finished compost. Earth Matter uses small machinery to process approx. 700t/yr of
- Model best practices in urban composting operations to expand the quantity of NYC organics that can be processed locally and to produce high quality finished
- Operating small to mid-size machinery such as a front-end-loader, feed mixer, chipper/shredder, sifter.
- Clean and maintain tools and equipment.
- Report and maintain compost processing data.
- Co-lead volunteer work groups in compost
- Staff Compost Learning Center (CLC) during workdays.
- Act as an overall ambassador of the NYC Compost Project and DSNY Organics Collection Program
- Attend Earth Matter staff meetings and NYCCP meetings.
- Perform additional duties as determined by Earth Matter NY and by
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of urban composting best management practices and regulations.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all seasons and on
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds and to perform physically strenuous
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with the public, independently or in a team, across a variety of
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment and comply with all procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Valid driver’s license required.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Minimum two years of compost operation experience
- Experience with diverse computer applications (Excel, MS Word, GoogleDocs).
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Machinery operation, construction and maintenance experience required.
- Experience maintaining Aerated Static Pile Composting systems
- OSHA Front-end-loader Safety Certificate
- NYCCP Master Composter Certificate
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $40,000 – $42,000, health and PTO
Qualified candidates please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 19, 2018
No phone calls please.
For more information about Earth Matter NY Inc. please visit: www.earthmatter.org
For more information about the NYC Compost Project please visit: www.nyc.gov/compostproject
Due to the number of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.